Zazou being one of the first carbon neutral salons in metro Vancouver is a testament that generally hair salons do not focus on sustainability. We were the first Green Circle Salon in British Columbia, helping to pave the way for the Sustainable Beauty Movement in North America and have continued to be advocates for Green Circle and any other Sustainable Beauty Movement.
Some of our other sustainability practices include…
· We contribute to One Tree Planted to plant trees around British Columbia in areas that have been logged or devastated by wildfire.
· We use colour products where a portion of every tube is donated towards Colour with Care that support Doctors Without Borders so every guest who comes in for a colour service is supporting this organization. We have raised money by donating an entire day of services and products towards this initiative and this is an annual event. This year alone we provided over one thousand emergency care kits to kids suffering from hunger. In addition, many of the doctors had been deployed all over the world for pandemic relief.
· We compost and use a local composting company for disposal.
· We use 100% recyclable paper and cups. In normal times we use glassware.
· All our cleaning aids are organic or naturally derived.
· We volunteer for park clean ups regularly. This year so far we have collected over 70lbs of trash.
· We use eco heads for our hair washing stations that utilizes a higher water pressure to cleanse the hair of product faster that reduces water consumption.
· We partner with one of the most progressive software companies in our industry called Phorest that’s core value is sustainability and encouraging the salon industry with sustainable practices. Some examples are solar panels installed at their facilities, tree planting projects and have hosted various events spreading awareness.
· We use colour use tracking system called Vish that helps us weigh out our colour per service and tracks our waste so we can work as a team to reduce our colour waste and minimize product usage and product requiring recycling.
· We’re installing a live wall to help absorb toxins and emits clean air.
· We are a Green Circle Salon and apply an eco-fee to all our services that allows us to recycle up to 97% of all our salon waste that keeps our landfills and waterways clear. Hair trimmings are used to create oil booms to absorb oil from our water if there is ever an oil spill.