Zazou Salon & Academy is proud to be part of the sustainable beauty movement and are now officially a Carbon Neutral Salon! The first in Metro Vancouver. Through supporting the Afforestation Project in San Jose Nicaragua and the Clean Drinking Water Project in Zoba Maekel, Eritrea we are offsetting our carbon emissions. For our efforts we have been awarded the Sustainability Award from the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce!
Our sustainability efforts include:
- Utilizing products from companies with a variety of eco-friendly benefits such as being B Corp Certified, Carbon Neutral, vegan, sustainable and gives back to the community in which they source ingredients. Packaging is recyclable, the ingredients are naturally derived, paraben and sulphate free and not tested on animals or distributed to countries in which they are tested on animals. Shipping emissions are offset and packaging is minimized to reduce how much shipping is required. Manufacturing uses renewable energy with one such company using 100% certified green electricity.
- We are one step closer to completing our application for B Corp Certification which is an intense evaluation process to determine sustainable business practices and is only issued to those businesses that meet the specific requirements for community, environment, employment standards and services.
- We have gone paperless with our receipts and client intake forms – utilizing iPads.
- We have installed LED lighting to reduce our electricity consumption.
- We contribute to One Tree Planted to plant trees around British Columbia in areas that have been logged or devastated by wildfire.
- We use colour products from La Biosthetique where a portion of every tube is donated towards Colour with Care that support Doctors Without Borders so every guest who comes in for a colour service is supporting this organization. We have raised money by donating an entire day of services and products towards this initiative and this is an annual event. This year alone we provided over one thousand emergency care kits to kids suffering from hunger. In addition, many of the doctors had been deployed all over the world for pandemic relief.
- We compost and use a local composting company for disposal.
- We use 100% recyclable paper and cups. In normal times we use glassware.
- All our cleaning aids are organic or naturally derived.
- We volunteer for park clean ups regularly. This year so far we have collected over 70lbs of trash.
- We use eco heads for our hair washing stations that utilizes a higher water pressure to cleanse the hair of product faster that reduces water consumption.
- We partner with one of the most progressive software companies in our industry called Phorest that’s core value is sustainability and encouraging the salon industry with sustainable practices. Some examples are solar panels installed at their facilities, tree planting projects and have hosted various events spreading awareness.
- We use colour use tracking system called Vish that helps us weigh out our colour per service and tracks our waste so we can work as a team to reduce our colour waste and minimize product usage and product requiring recycling.
- We are a Green Circle Salon and apply an eco-fee to all our services that allows us to recycle up to 97% of all our salon waste that keeps our landfills and waterways clear. Hair trimmings are used to create oil booms to absorb oil from our water if there is ever an oil spill.
In 2020 we diverted the following:
Lynn Valley: Lonsdale (December only):
solid waste: 5,700 lbs solid waste: 100 lbs
liquid waste: 137 lbs liquid waste: 0 lbs
total waste: 5,837 lbs total waste: 100 lbs