The Lookout Society believes that helping people help themselves is essential in addressing homelessness and all the issues that surround it. Securing appropriate housing is the first and most essential step in achieving responsible independence for individuals.
The North Shore Shelter provides 45 year round minimum barrier shelter beds, and offers up to 20 overflow sleeping mats in extreme weather.
- Housing to the shelterless and homeless
- Connection to services in the community
- Support, supervision, direction and aid to anyone whose needs are not addressed by others
- Safe surroundings
Items they are most in need of this year:
- Men’s and women’s clothing in good condition. Especially: hooded, sweatshirts (mens M, L, XL), men’s jeans (size 32-38), and sweat pants
- Practical underwear (mostly mens M&L boxers, but others as well)
- Men and Women’s shaving cream, razors, deodorant
- Warm winter clothes: Fleece or thinsulated hats and gloves (preference for black), scarves, and long underwear etc.
- Coats and Jackets (particularly waterproof)
- Winter boots and walking boots
- Rain Gear
- Toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, and other toiletries
- Bus tickets (two zone and one zone) to help shelter guests and to get to and from work and necessary appointments
- Warm socks
- Knapsacks and bags
- Bottled water and juice boxes (for use in bagged lunches of employed shelter guests)
- Food vouchers (eg. Tim Hortons, Subway, etc.)
- Pet food
- Work Boots and hard hats
- Brushes and hair ties
This is by no means a complete list. Please feel free to visit their website here if you wish to find out more items you can donate or even if you wish to make a monetary donation. Everything helps! https://lookoutsociety.ca/get-involved/donate/
If you have any questions about what the Lookout Society is in need of or what we can or cannot use, contact the North Shore Housing Centre at: 604-982-9126 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For furniture and household items, it is often best to contact our valuable community partners, Shelter To Home. Shelter To Home is a locally-based organization that provides these items to North Shore people transitioning from homelessness to independent living. Contact the Donation Line: 778-331-8465.