In the world of skincare, trendy ingredients come and go. One of the most extraordinary ingredients for all skin types is hyaluronic acid (HA). Simply put, hyaluronic acid has powerful, beneficial anti-aging properties. It is also one of the all time premier hydrating ingredients, even for oily or breakout-prone skin.
So, just how does this superstar ingredient work to deliver supple, healthy-looking, and less-wrinkly skin? The answer is based on the science of skin, and is truly remarkable.
HOW DOES HYALURONIC ACID BENEFIT YOUR SKIN?
HA works to keep every aspect of skin stable, safeguarded and constantly renewed. It also has the stunning capacity to attract and hold vast amounts of skin moisture. This science-based magic lies in HA´s ability to replenish moisture, a lot of moisture! Hyaluronic acid plays a critical role in skin health with its unique ability to hold moisture (1000 ml of water per gram of HA).
Now that really is mind-blowing!
This high, water-binding capacity makes HA a particularly interesting cosmetic ingredient. However, due to its large molecular structure, the popular cosmetic ingredient often uses classic HA, which is incapable of penetrating the skin. Instead, lies on the stratum corneum as a moisture film. La Biosthétique goes one step further and compounds the highly dosed hyaluronic acids with different structures.
But more to that a bit later.
Hyaluronic acid’s moisture-binding characteristic is exceptionally important when it comes to skin aging. As we age, skin moisture can drop significantly, which makes the skin lose elasticity and exposes signs of skin aging. One of the qualities of youthful skin is its ability to hold and retain a balanced amount of
moisture. If our skin loses its ability to maintain this vital, plumping moisture effects, the skin will reflect a loss of firmness, pliability and a decreased appearance of plumpness and suppleness. HA is also a “smart nutrient” as it can adjust its moisture absorption rate based on the humidity. Relative to the season and the climate.
HA is also a major component of skin, where it is involved in tissue repair. When skin is exposed to excessive UVB rays, it becomes inflamed (sunburn) and the cells in the dermis stop producing its own HA. This results in an increased rate of degradation. It turns out that HA also provides an antioxidant defense against environmental assault. Now that’s what I call a multi-tasking anti-aging ingredient!
WHAT DOES DEHYDRATED SKIN LOOK LIKE?
- Dehydrated skin looks dull and exhausted, with fine lines (even if you’re in your mid-20s.)
- Shows signs of redness, irritations and white little scales due to dryness.
- Your client may also mention feelings of tightness.
- Decreased turgor (resilience). The skin is not as elastic as it was in earlier years.
- Skin is itchy and feels rough.
- Premature skin aging.
WHAT CAN CAUSE DEHYDRATION?
- Excessive moisture loss due to environmental influences; too much sun, no sunscreen protection in summer as well as in the winter time. Think of snow reflection!
- Lifestyle and poor care or damaging habits; not face cleansing in the evening before bed time and in the morning, using a wrong moisturizer which is in appropriate for a skin condition.
- As we get older, the skin loses its own ability to produce hyaluronic acid. Skin naturally dries out as we age. Unfortunately, during the skin’s natural aging process, the hyaluronic acid content in the tissue is continuously reduced and this can happen as early as your mid-20s.
HOW CAN YOU PREVENT DEHYDRATION AND WHAT CAN HELP?
- Stop washing your face with soaps and harsh cleansers. Even special liquid facial soaps may dry the skin and lead to skin irritation.
- Use mild products. Harsh products formulated with ingredients such as alcohol, can strip away the skin’s natural oils and make the situation even worse.
- Cleansing milk like CLAIR DE TEINT DOUX, is mild enough to use twice a day. It removes makeup in the evening and refreshes the face in the morning.
- Lightly exfoliate once a week. MASQUE PEELING is mild but effective in removing dry skin cells.
- No matter what your skin type and concern is, apply a hydrating facial mask once or twice a week; MASQUE HYDRO-SENSITIF is my absolute favorite!
- Always use moisturizers. Moisturizers improve your skin quality and act as a protective layer to help keep the moisture in the skin, stopping from evaporation. It slows down the natural moisture loss throughout the day and prevents further skin dehydration. Apply the moisturizer and let the skin absorb it for at least 3 minutes before applying foundation.
- If a moisturizer is not enough, choose a serum which focuses solely on supplying the skin with hydration, like CONCENTRE HYALURONIQUE.
CONCENTRE HYALURONIQUE is very light in molecular weight and size. The serum rapidly penetrates into the skin, even into the deeper skin layers! It stimulates the skins renewal process, binds moisture and acts as a carrier for other active ingredients which work better being transported into the skin. CONCENTRE HYALURONIQUE increases the cycle of cell division and skin renewal within 11 days by almost 40%, proven within a La Biosthetique laboratory clinical study!
If that is not enough, the serum also holds moisture, protects the skin from moisture loss on the surface and supports the formation of new tissue which results in a smoother complexion!
Isn´t that fantastic?
HOW TO USE CONCENTRE HYALURONIQUE
- Cleanse you skin with a mild cleanser (see previous) and pat on with your palms, TONIQUE HYDRATANT. The toner will give you additional moisture and will improve the absorption of the serum much better!
- In the morning and/or evening, apply 2-3 drops of the provided dropper to your fingertips and pat on the serum evenly around your face and neck. Because of its light texture, you can also use it closely around your eye area. This will help to hydrate th sensitive skin and prevent the fine lines around your eyes.
- Once the concentrate is absorbed, apply your daily cream to lock in the hydration. You will notice that the serum doesn´t provide smoothness and the usual glide for you skin. This is normal because the CONCENTRE HYALURONIQUE works in your skin cells rather than on the surface of your skin. Therefore, always remember to follow up with your care cream. If you have never used a concentrate before, I recommend to start slowly! Add it to your
nighttime routine 2-3 times a week initially, increasing as the time goes by to every night before going to bed. The skin absorbs moisture much better at night, when our body and mind are at rest!
Here´s to a new year and new beginnings!
Until next time,
Creative Director Make-up
Director of Education Skin & Make-up