Sun can damage your hair with prolonged exposure. UVA and UVB rays have the power to damage the hair from the cuticle to the inner structure of the hair.
Signs of sun damage to your hair:
- Faded hair colour
- Dry, brittle hair
- Broken or split ends
- Frizzy hair
- Weakened and thinning hair
As much as we’d rather you show off your zazouified hair!…wear a hat!
The best way to protect your hair from the sun’s rays is to block the exposure to the sun. Hats provide 100% protection from the sun’s rays. Of course, if some of your hair hangs out of your hat, you’ll want to protect it in other ways… like with styling aids that Zazou happens to carry!
Sun Care Protection from shampoo, conditioners, and styling aids
Shampoos and conditioners don’t protect against the sun, however, they are great for addressing any stress caused by UV rays to your hair. It is also great for removing any build up due to summer activities such as swimming in pools with chlorine or out in the ocean with salt water.
What can protect your hair?
Zazou carries a great product line from La Biosthetique called Methode Soleil that is perfect for protecting your hair from the sun.
Prevent – Protect – Care:
Our hair begins to suffer when exposed to extreme amounts of sun. The UV rays that hit our bodies cause considerable stress to our hair and scalp. The Méthode Soleil products provide the hair with the highly effective care it needs.
- The hair becomes soft and is given a moisture boost.
- The colour brilliance is maintained.
- Active ingredients from the sunflower block the damaging free radicals.
- The hair is restructured and is thus more resistant.
- When using UV protection in your hair it’s important to cleanse your hair and scalp at least once a week since SPF will build up on your hair shaft. Try the La Biosthetique Methode Soleil cleansing shampoo or the Aveda Sun Care and Body Cleanser.
Protect Your Part & Your Hair
- Use full strength SPF directly on your scalp where you part your hair. The scalp’s direct exposure to the sun can burn and peel! While you’re at it don’t forget your ears.
- Using the Leave-in Aveda Hair Veil with UV filters or the Methode Soleil Vitalite Express that is a 2 Phase structure-balancing conditioning spray with water resistant UV filter.
- Deep conditioning treatments will help keep the damage by the sun at a minimum. Because the sun breaks down your hair’s protein it’s important to use a deep conditioning treatment. Try the Aveda Sun Care Hair Masque or the La Biosthetique UV Protection Sunset Hair cream.
One more hint! Don’t try and lighten your hair with…
- Lemon juice
- “Sun activated hair lightening” products.
Check the labels and stay away from hair products that contain high levels of alcohol or peroxide. And please, do not try to lighten your hair using lemon juice or other sun activated hair lightening products. These products will cause your hair to dry out faster and will speed the process of damage caused by the sun.
Come in and talk with one of our expert stylists for recommendations if you are looking to lighten your hair for summer!